Job Title: Preschool Assistant Teacher (interim)
Department: Language Center / Preschool
Reports To: Preschool Director
Designation: Non-Exempt full-time
Work Hours: 8:30am- 4:30pm
Start Date: April 1, 2023
End Date: June 11, 2023
The French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF) is the leading French language and cultural center in the U.S. Since 1898, FIAF has been dedicated to creating and offering New Yorkers innovative and unique programs in education and the arts, all exploring the evolving diversity and richness of French cultures.
The FIAF Language Center is the largest language school dedicated to teaching the French language in the tri-state area. With more than 5,000 registrations annually, we offer French in two convenient locations: Manhattan’s Upper East Side and Montclair, NJ.
In conjunction with its adult French language learning program, FIAF offers French language learning programs for toddlers (ages 1-4), kids (5-10) and teens (11-17) from beginner to advanced levels, including French for native speakers.
Our program offers a high level of language instruction through curricula that are specially designed to meet children’s pedagogical needs at every stage of their development. All our classes provide an integrated approach to French language and culture.
Since 2012, the FIAF Preschool has been offering a French immersion program for toddlers ages 2½ to 5 in two separate classes/classrooms.
The French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF), is looking for a full-time Interim Preschool Assistant-Teacher for its preschool, an immersion French program designed for toddlers and preschoolers (ages 2.5 to 4.5). The Preschool Assistant Teacher will assist the Preschool Teacher.
• Assist head teacher in the implementation of the curriculum.
• Provide for the physical safety of children through anticipation and removal of dangers, observation of children at play or at rest, and by appropriately responding to injuries.
• Help children with daily tasks and activities.
• Help children with transitions and foster their autonomy.
• Replace head teacher when necessary.
• Respect the school’s philosophy and policies.
• Assist in conducting part of the program remotely and online, if necessary
• Native French-speaker or equivalent proficiency, ability to communicate clearly in English
• High school diploma with some college credits (Bachelor’s degree with some education or early childhood credits preferred) and/or a DOH-approved study plan
• Have at least 1 year of comparable experience (French immersion or bilingual program)
• Service-oriented attitude
• All candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.
• Fully vaccinated against COVID-19
The FIAF Preschool is located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Our mission is to provide a joyful entry into French language and culture, combining the best of the école maternelle and American preschool experience to help each child reach his/her full potential.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to the Human Resources department at [email protected].
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the large number of applicants we receive, we will only be able to contact those that we would like to meet for interviews.
FIAF is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, marital status, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, citizenship status protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.